This egg drop masala curry recipe is an Indian style poached egg curry.
Usually I prepare boiled egg curries, but this poached egg style dish is a totally different method, where eggs are broken and dropped on the gravy and allowed to cook.
Its also called as udaithu oothiya muttai kuzhambu in Tamil, based on the preparation method.
This simple and delicious curry can be served with rice, dosas or chapathis.
For other egg recipes do check out
Lets move on to the recipe for easy egg drop curry.
Egg Drop Masala Curry Recipe
Egg Drop Masala Curry recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 2 tomatoes medium-sized
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- A few curry leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Chop onion and garlic finely.
- Grind the tomatoes into a paste and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add fennel seeds.
- Saute for a second and add chopped onions, garlic, ginger paste and curry leaves.
- Fry till onions turns light brown.
- Now add tomato paste along with salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder.
- Fry for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water and cook for 4-5 minutes till gravy thickens.
- Break an egg and gently drop it on the gravy. Do this for the other eggs also, placing each egg separately.
- Cover and cook. Once the eggs are fully cooked, stir the curry gently.
- Egg drop masala curry is now ready to be served hot with steamed rice, dosas or rotis. Enjoy!