Here is a simple and easy lobia curry or black-eyed peas curry recipe. In this North Indian style curry, black-eyed peas are cooked in a tomato based gravy with spices.
I did not use onions in this curry but instead I used garlic to give the curry a good flavor.
The tangy flavor comes from tomatoes. This curry can be served with rice or chapathis / rotis.
Black-eyed peas are basically small oval-shaped white colored beans with a black eye. They are very nutritious legumes. These creamy beans are rich in proteins and iron and high in fiber too.
I cook with these beans occasionally. For another recipe with black eyed peas do check out karamani kara kuzhambu which is a South Indian style gravy.
Black-Eyed Peas Curry | Lobia Curry Recipe
Lobia Curry – Black Eyed Peas Curry recipe
- 1/2 cup lobia / black-eyed peas
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 2 green chillies
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 2 inch piece cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 tbsp oil
- Cilantro / coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Rinse and soak lobia overnight or for around 7-8 hours.
- Drain the water. Add the whole spices – bay leaf, cinnamon sticks, cloves and salt to the lobia. Pressure cook in 3/4 cup water for 4-5 whistles or until lobia turns soft.
- Meanwhile finely chop tomatoes. Crush the ginger and garlic cloves. Slit the green chillies lengthwise.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. When they crackle, add green chillies, crushed ginger and garlic.
- Saute for a couple of seconds. Then add the chopped tomatoes. Fry till tomatoes get mashed.
- Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder and fry for a minute.
- Finally add the pressure-cooked lobia along with the whole spices and the water in which it was cooked. Add 1/2 cup more water. Check for salt and add more if required.
- Bring to a boil and let the gravy simmer on low heat for around 8 minutes or till the gravy thickens to the desired consistency and remove from heat. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Lobia curry is ready to be served with flat breads or rice.