Mushroom Korma / Mushroom Kuruma recipe is a delicious Indian style gravy. In this recipe mushrooms are cooked in a creamy coconut gravy with mild spices.
Its been a long time since I have cooked with mushrooms. Earlier I had posted mushroom masala curry. This time I decided to make a coconut based gravy with mushrooms.
Mushrooms are a great source of proteins especially for vegetarians. They are also low in calories and a good source of dietary fiber. Its good to include them in our diet. But I rarely cook with mushrooms. The only mushroom variety that I can get hold of is button mushrooms which I have used in this recipe.
The other good thing about mushrooms is that they absorb all the flavors of the curry that they are cooked in. This creamy mushroom gravy tasted delicious with rotis. It also goes well with rice.
Lets move on to the easy recipe for mushroom korma.
Mushroom Korma | Mushroom Gravy Recipe
Mushroom Korma – Mushroom Gravy Recipe
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 1 tomato medium-sized
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 inch piece cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder (adjust as per taste)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder / jeera powder
- 1-1/2 tbsp oil
- Cilantro / coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Roughly chop onions. Slice garlic. Finely chop the tomato and ginger.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add cinnamon and cloves and saute for a few seconds.
- Add chopped onions, garlic and ginger. Saute till onions turn light brown in color.
- Remove from heat and set this mixture aside to cool down.
- Then grind this onion mixture along with chopped tomatoes and fennel seeds to a fine paste.
- Slice the mushrooms and keep aside.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in the same pan. Add the ground onion-tomato paste.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and cumin powder and stir.
- Let this onion-tomato paste cook for a couple of minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and stir.
- Then add 1 cup water and let the gravy cook for around 5-6 minutes till mushrooms get tender.
- Now add in the ground coconut paste and let the gravy simmer for 4-5 minutes or till it reaches desired consistency.
- Remove from heat and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Mushroom korma is now ready to be served hot with rice or flat breads.