Mushroom masala curry recipe – an easy Indian style mushroom curry recipe. A simple and quick recipe, this mushroom masala has button mushrooms simmered in an onion-tomato gravy.
I cook with mushrooms occasionally and this curry is one that goes well with rice or rotis.
Mushrooms are a great meat substitute, especially for vegetarians. As for nutrition, they are low fat and low in calories and high in proteins.
For other mushroom recipes do check out
I love the fact that mushrooms cook fast and also absorb the flavors of all the spices in the curry.
I have used button mushrooms in this curry. Now on to mushroom masala curry recipe.
Mushroom Masala Curry Recipe
Mushroom Masala Curry
- 200 gms button mushrooms
- 2 onions, medium-sized
- 2 tomatoes, medium-sized
- 1 green chilli
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 2 inch piece cinnamon
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Clean and slice the button mushrooms. Keep them aside.
- Roughly chop the onions, tomatoes and garlic.
- Slice the green chilli lengthwise.
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a pan.
- Add chopped onions and garlic.
- Fry till onions turn light brown in color.
- Then add the ginger paste along with the chopped tomatoes.
- Let the tomatoes cook till they are soft and mashed and the raw smell of tomatoes goes.
- Remove the pan from heat and let this mixture cool down.
- Blend this onion-tomato mixture to a paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in another pan. Add the whole spices – bay leaf, cloves and cinnamon.
- Saute for a few seconds.
- Then add in the sliced green chilli. Add the prepared onion-tomato mixture.
- Reduce the flame to medium-low. Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
- Mix well. Add 1 cup water.
- Tip in the sliced mushrooms.
- Let the gravy simmer for 5-6 minutes, allowing the mushrooms to absorb all the flavors.
- Once the gravy reaches desired consistency, remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Mushroom masala curry is ready to be served with rice or rotis.