Mushroom fry recipe – a flavor packed Indian style mushroom stir fry. This is a quick and easy mushroom dry sabzi. It is one of those dishes that you can put together in minutes and still tastes amazing. It is only a couple of years since I have started liking mushrooms. I have been trying out a few recipes like mushroom korma and matar mushroom sabzi. I have slowly started enjoying the wonderful texture of mushrooms. Added to it is the fact that mushrooms totally absorbs all the flavors of the curry.
This mushroom fry is very easy to make. The ingredients list may look long but believe me it doesn’t really translate to a longer cooking time. Also there is no grinding of ingredients required.
Mushrooms get cooked very fast and in minutes you have a stir fry that you will not want to stop eating. It goes well as a side dish for chapati, roti or naan or even with rice. Lets move on to the recipe for easy Indian style mushroom fry.
Mushroom Fry | Indian Style Mushroom Stir Fry Recipe
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 1 onion large
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger ( adrak )
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 3 cloves ( laung )
- 1 cardamom ( elaichi or elakkai )
- 1 inch piece cinnamon ( dalchini )
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds ( jeera )
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp amchur powder ( dry mango powder )
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp crushed kasuri methi ( dry fenugreek leaves )
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Finely chop onions, ginger and garlic. Chop the tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan. Add whole spices - cinnamon, cardamom and cloves and fry for a couple of seconds. Then add cumin seeds.
- Once cumin seeds change color, add the chopped onions, ginger and garlic and fry till the edges of the chopped onions turn almost golden brown in color.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes, cover and cook for two minutes.
- Meanwhile wash the mushrooms. Slice the mushrooms and set aside.
- To the pan, add the spice masala powders - turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and amchur powder along with salt.
- Mix well and fry for a minute. Then add the sliced mushrooms and stir.
- Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes till mushrooms turn soft. Then stir fry on high heat till there is no moisture.
- Finally add crushed kasoori methi and garam masala powder. Stir fry on high heat for a minute. Remove from heat and garnish mushroom fry with chopped coriander leaves.
- Mushroom fry is now ready to be served.
2. Substitute ginger-garlic paste for freshly chopped ginger and garlic.
3. Substitute a dash of freshly squeezed lemon juice for amchur powder.
how to make mushroom fry with step by step photos
- Heat oil in a pan. Add whole spices and fry for a couple of seconds. Then add cumin seeds and fry till they change color slightly. Then add chopped onions, ginger and garlic. Fry till the edges of the onions turn almost golden brown in color.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and cover and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the masala powders along with salt.
- Mix well. Fry for a minute. Then add the sliced mushrooms and stir. Cover and cook till mushrooms turn soft. Finally add crushed kasoori methi and garam masala powder. Stir fry on high heat for a minute and remove from heat.
- Mushroom stir fry is now ready to be served.