Muttai Kuzhambu / poached egg curry recipe – an easy South Indian style curry of poached eggs. This egg curry has eggs dropped in a flavorful gravy instead of the usual boiled eggs being added to a curry.
The eggs get cooked in the gravy absorbing all the flavors of the curry. This curry has poached eggs in a coconut based gravy.
I have already posted an egg drop curry which has eggs dropped in a tomato-based gravy without coconut. I like both these versions as they are simple and easy to prepare.
This simple gravy makes for a complete meal when served with rice as you don’t require any side dish. It goes well as a side dish for chapathis also.
While adding boiled eggs to gravy is more common, I love this version of egg curry where the eggs absorb all the flavors of the curry and taste delicious. Lets move on to the recipe for easy South Indian poached egg curry recipe.
How to make Muttai Kuzhambu step by step
- Heat oil in a pan. Add seasonings. Then add chopped onions, garlic and curry leaves. Fry till onions turn light brown.
- Add tomato puree and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then add salt and spice powders. Mix well and fry for a minute.
- Add the ground coconut-fennel paste.
- Also add a cup of water and let the gravy simmer for 5 minutes. Finally drop the eggs one by one gently in the gravy.
- Cover and cook till the eggs are fully cooked. Poached egg curry is now ready to be served.
South Indian Poached Egg Curry | Muttai Kuzhambu Recipe
Muttai Kuzhambu – Poached Egg Curry recipe
- 3 eggs ( muttai )
- 1 onion large
- 2 tomatoes medium-sized
- 3 garlic cloves
- 6 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds ( sombu / saunf )
- A few curry leaves
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Finely chop onion, garlic and tomatoes.
- Grind grated coconut and fennel seeds to a fine paste by adding little water and set this aside.
- Puree the tomatoes and set this also aside.
- Heat oil in a wide pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add chopped onions, garlic and curry leaves.
- Fry till onions turn light brown in color.
- Then add the tomato puree and let this cook for 2 minutes.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder and fry for a minute.
- Then add the ground coconut paste and mix well.
- Add a cup of water and once the gravy comes to a boil, let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Then break an egg and drop it gently on the curry. Repeat this for other eggs, making sure to leave some space between the eggs.
- Do not stir the gravy. Cover and let this cook on medium low heat till the eggs get cooked. Make sure to not over-cook the eggs.
- Once the eggs are cooked, gently stir the curry and remove from heat. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Poached egg curry is ready to be served.