egg fried rice indian style – a quick and easy rice recipe that has rice flavored with Indian spices and loaded with vegetables and eggs to make it a filling meal. It is also a good lunch box recipe. While the Indo-Chinese egg fried rice is very popular in restaurants, this version of egg fried rice is simpler and without soya sauce added to it.
This egg fried rice recipe too is simple and easy to make and I have basically made it quite a few times. I generally like to add veggies to make the rice more nutrition and here I have added carrots and capsicums. Moreover, you really dont require any side dish for this rice. Instead I rather prefer a bowl of yogurt or a simple raita to go with it.
In addition to proteins, eggs are a great source of vitamin D while capsicums are equally nutritious and are a good source of vitamin C. If you are interested in other curries and gravies prepared with eggs, then do check out easy egg recipes.
how to make egg fried rice Indian style step by step
- Prepare the rice and set aside to cool down completely.
- Heat oil in a wide pan or kadai. Once the pan has heated up, add finely chopped onions and garlic.
- Saute till onions turn brown at the edges.
- Add slit green chillies and finely chopped carrots. Fry on medium-high heat for around 3 minutes till carrots turn slightly soft.
- Then add chopped capsicum and fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add the spice powders and salt and mix well.
- Once that is done, break the eggs and add them to the pan.
- Let it cook for 4-5 seconds. Then quickly stir till the eggs get scrambled and blend with the veggies.
- Finally add cooked rice.
- Mix well to coat the rice with masala and switch off the flame. Indian style egg fried rice is now ready to be served.
egg fried rice indian style | easy egg fried rice
- 3/4 cup basmati rice or long-grained rice
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green capsicum ( bell peppers or shimla mirch )
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrots ( gajar )
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 green chillies
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- You can use pre-cooked rice for this recipe or follow the steps for preparing rice.
- Rinse the rice 4-5 times with water. Then soak the rinsed rice for 20-30 minutes in enough water in a bowl.
- Once the duration of soaking is complete, drain all the water from the soaked rice. Pressure cook the rice with 1 and 3/4 cups water for 2 whistles. Alternatively, you could simmer the rice along with water in a covered pan for 10 minutes. Switch off the flame and keep the pan covered for 5 minutes. Then fluff the rice using a fork. Spread the rice on a plate or wide bowl to cool completely.
- In the meantime finely slice onions and finely chop garlic cloves. Slit the green chillies lengthwise. Finely chop the carrots. De-seed the capsicum and finely chop it.
- Heat oil in a wide pan or kadai or wok. Add onions and garlic. Fry till the edges of onions turn brown.
- Now add the chopped carrots and slit green chillies. Fry on medium-high flame for around 3 minutes till carrots turn slightly soft. Then add the chopped capsicums and fry for 2 minutes. Add salt, turmeric powder and garam masala powder and mix well.
- Now break the eggs and add them to the pan one by one. Let it cook for just 3-4 seconds. Then quickly stir till the eggs get scrambled and cooked.
- Finally add the cooked rice and mix well to coat the rice with the masala. Remove from heat.
- Egg fried rice is ready to be served.
to prepare the rice
to assemble egg fried rice
- Make sure the rice is cooled completely before adding it to the pan.
- Finely chop the vegetables to almost a uniform size so they get cooked evenly.
- The browned onions give a nice flavor to the rice.
- Add or substitute other vegetables like peas and cabbage.
- Use pre-cooked or left-over rice for this recipe.