Carrot Raita / Gajar ka Raita recipe – easy and healthy raita to serve as an accompaniment to a meal. This carrot raita has grated carrots in a lightly spiced yogurt. I have used peanuts too which gives an added crunch to the raita. Raitas are cooling and are perfect as a side dish to a spicy Indian meal. They are also easy and quick to make and don’t require much preparation.
This carrot raita too is a simple vegetable based raita with just a few ingredients but it tastes yummy. Grated carrots are added to whisked curd. Roasted peanuts are coarsely ground and are added to the curd. Finally, the raita is finished off with tempering with cumin seeds. This raita can be served as a side dish for biryani, pulao, parathas, rotis or even with dal and rice combination.
Carrots are a great source of the antioxidant Beta carotene. It gets converted to vitamin A in the body which helps in improving eyesight. It also protects skin from damage caused due to exposure to sun. With loads of health benefits, its great to include carrots in our diet regularly.
Carrot Raita | Gajar ka Raita Recipe
- 1 cup grated carrots / gajar
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt / curd / dahi
- 1 1/2 tbsp roasted peanuts / groundnuts
- 1 green chilli
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- To Temper
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1/2 tsp oil
- Peel the carrots and grate them.
- Whisk the curds well till it turns smooth and there are no lumps.
- Coarsely grind the roasted peanuts with a mortar and pestle.
- De-seed and chop the green chilli.
- Add the coarsely-ground peanuts and green chilli to the curd and mix well.
- Heat oil in a small kadai or pan. Add cumin seeds. When they change color slightly, remove from heat. Add the grated carrots. Saute for a few seconds. Remove from heat and let it cool down slightly. Then add it to the curd.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Finally, garnish the raita with chopped coriander leaves.
- Carrot raita is ready to be served or you could chill the raita for a couple of hours and then serve.