Murungakkai poriyal recipe is a simple and delicious drumstick dry curry. Drumsticks are almost an integral part of South Indian cooking. I can’t think of any other veggie that imparts so much flavor to a dish.
What about the wonderful aroma that fills when the dish is being cooked.. its heavenly. This recipe is a very simple and easy drumstick dry curry that tastes yummy.
It goes very well as a side dish for rice, especially curd rice.
For other drumstick recipes do check out
Lets move on to the recipe for easy and delicious murungakkai poriyal.
Drumstick Curry | Murungakkai Poriyal Recipe
Murungakkai Poriyal | Drumstick Curry recipe
- 2 drumsticks ( murungakkai )
- 1 onion, medium-sized
- 2 tomatoes, medium-sized
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp broken urad dal ( ulutham paruppu )
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds ( vendhayam )
- A pinch of asafoetida
- A few curry leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Chop drumsticks into around 2 inch pieces. Chop onions, tomatoes and garlic finely.
- Parboil the chopped drumsticks along with salt and turmeric powder in enough water.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add cumin seeds, asafoetida and broken urad dal.
- Once dal turns brown, add chopped onions, garlic and curry leaves. Saute till onions turn brown.
- Then add chopped tomatoes along with salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder.
- Fry till tomatoes get mashed.
- Then add parboiled drumsticks along with a cup of water in which they were cooked. Let this cook for around 8-10 minutes.
- Once the curry becomes dry, add grated coconut and mix well. Cook for another minute and then remove from heat.
- Murungakkai poriyal is now ready to be served hot with rice.