Indian watermelon salad / watermelon mint salad recipe – a light and refreshing Indian style salad using watermelon and mint. This recipe has fresh watermelon and aromatic mint leaves along with peanuts and few spices.
Watermelon is the perfect fruit for summer as it is a thirst-quenching fruit. But we do have watermelons available the whole year nowadays.
This watermelon salad too is certainly perfect for hot summer days.
I usually eat watermelons as such but sometime back when I got a watermelon from the market, I wanted to try a simple salad and loved it. I have made this salad a couple of times since then. It is so light and absolutely refreshing. It is also easy to make in minutes and tastes great when served chilled.
I combined juicy watermelons with fresh mint leaves to make this salad. The sweetness of watermelon combined with the fresh, aromatic mint leaves gives a refreshing taste. The peanuts give a nice crunch to the salad while the spices and lemon juice lend a nice tangy and spicy flavor. This raw fruit salad tastes really good and fresh especially for hot summer months.
For other healthy Indian salad recipes do check out
Lets move on to the recipe for easy watermelon salad.
How to make watermelon Salad step by step
- Wash the watermelon. Cut off the rind and chop the red flesh of the watermelon into small pieces. If not using a seedless watermelon, remove the seeds.
- Take the watermelon cubes in a bowl.
- Add chopped onions.
- Then add chopped mint leaves.
- Dry roast the raw peanuts.
- Remove the skin of the roasted peanuts and lightly crush them. I used a mortar and pestle. Add the crushed peanuts.
- Then add roasted cumin powder and salt. Also add the freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Finally add ground black pepper and mix well. Watermelon salad is ready to be served. Alternatively you can chill the salad and serve it cold.
Indian Watermelon Salad | Watermelon Mint Salad Recipe
Indian Watermelon Salad recipe
- 1 1/2 cups watermelon cubes ( tarbooz )
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp peanuts ( moongphali )
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds ( jeera )
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves ( pudina )
- 1/4 tsp black salt ( or table salt to taste )
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper ( or to taste )
- Wash the watermelon. Then cut the watermelon into two halves lengthwise. Now again cut one of the halves into quarters. Cut off the rind and chop the juicy red watermelon into small pieces. If not using a seedless watermelon, remove the seeds.
- Finely chop the onion.
- Pick fresh mint leaves, wash them thoroughly and finely chop them.
- Dry roast the raw peanuts on medium flame in a pan. Once they cool down, remove the skin of the roasted peanuts and. lightly crush them. I used a mortar and pestle.
- Take the watermelon cubes in a bowl. Then add the chopped onions.
- Add the chopped mint leaves. Also add the crushed peanuts.
- Then add roasted cumin powder along with salt and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Finally add the ground black pepper and mix well.
- Watermelon salad is ready to be served. You can also chill the salad and serve it cold.
- To prepare fresh roasted cumin powder, dry roast the cumin seeds in a pan till they change color slightly and give a nice aroma. Transfer the roasted cumin seeds to a mortar and pestle and grind to a fine powder consistency.