Aval / rice flakes and butter are supposed to be Lord Krishna’s favorites. Vella aval is a sweetened rice flakes sweet dish that is prepared during Krishna Jayanthi / Janmashtami / Gokulashtami and is served as one of the naivedyam.
Generally, aval / poha cooks very fast and this jaggery based sweet recipe – vella aval is one you can rustle up very quickly.
Lets move on to the recipe for easy vella aval.
Vella Aval | Sweet Aval | Sweet Poha| Sweetened Rice Flakes Recipe
- 1 cup aval / poha / beaten rice flakes
- 3/4 cup powdered jaggery / vellam
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Wash aval and let it soak for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dissolve jaggery in 1/4 cup water in a thick-bottomed pan and let this boil.
- Keep stirring it, till the jaggery becomes of thicker consistency.
- Keep the flame on low heat. Now add grated coconut and mix well. Let this cook for a couple of minutes.
- Then add the aval along with cardamom powder and mix well.
- Keep stirring at regular intervals for about 3-4 minutes and then switch off the flame.
- Garnish with fresh grated coconut.
- Vella aval is now ready to be served hot!