Aval / rice flakes and butter are supposed to be Lord Krishna’s favorites. Vella aval is a sweetened rice flakes sweet dish that is prepared during Krishna Jayanthi / Janmashtami / Gokulashtami and is served as one of the naivedyam.
Generally, aval / poha cooks very fast and this jaggery based sweet recipe – vella aval is one you can rustle up very quickly.
For other easy sweets recipes do check out
Lets move on to the recipe for easy sweet aval using jaggery.
Vella Aval | Sweet Aval with Jaggery | Sweetened Rice Flakes Recipe
Vella Aval recipe
- 1 cup aval ( poha / beaten rice flakes )
- 3/4 cup powdered jaggery ( vellam )
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Wash aval and let it soak for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dissolve jaggery in 1/4 cup water in a thick-bottomed pan and let this boil.
- Keep stirring it, till the jaggery becomes of thicker consistency.
- Keep the flame on low heat. Now add grated coconut and mix well. Let this cook for a couple of minutes.
- Then add the aval along with cardamom powder and mix well.
- Keep stirring at regular intervals for about 3-4 minutes and then switch off the flame.
- Garnish with fresh grated coconut. Vella aval is now ready to be served hot!