Curd oats / thayir oats recipe – a simple and quick Indian style oats with lightly seasoned creamy yogurt. This recipe is very easy and is a good and healthy substitute for curd rice. It is a mildly spiced savory oats dish where oats is mixed with curd and is seasoned with a few spices. Honestly, I find it difficult to have oats porridge with milk and try to avoid it. So finally I decided to try this oats with curd and absolutely loved it. Its healthy, so easy to make and can be done in minutes.
This curd oats is a breeze to make especially for weekdays when you don’t have time to make elaborate breakfasts. When you are tempted to reach out to a jar of deep fried snacks, make this dahi oats or oats with curd instead and you will not feel guilty!
Oats are a rich source of dietary fiber as well as a good source of iron and protein. Its great to have oats for breakfast as it keeps us feeling full till lunch time. So there is no need to snacking on junk food in between.
Curd Oats | Thayir Oats | Oats with Yogurt Recipe below
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 1/2 cups thick curd / yogurt / thayir
- 1/4 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 tsp minced ginger
- 1 green chilli
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- A few curry leaves
- 3/4 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Grate the carrot and set aside. Chop the green chilli and mince fresh ginger.
- Take quick cooking oats in a pan or kadai and dry roast the oats in a medium-slow flame till you get a good aroma and the oats slightly change color. Remove from heat and transfer the roasted oats to a bowl.
- Heat oil in the same pan. Add mustard seeds and once they splutter, carefully add the ginger, green chilli and curry leaves and saute for around 5 seconds on a medium flame.
- Then add the grated carrots and fry for a couple of minutes or till they turn slightly soft. Remove from flame.
- Meanwhile, add curd to the oats and mix well.
- Finally add the prepared carrot seasoning to the oats and curd along with salt and stir.
- Curd oats is ready to be served.
2. You can use grated ginger instead of minced ginger.
3. Add some fruits like pomegranate or grapes or chopped bananas to make the curd oats healthier.
how to make curd oats step by step
- Take the oats in a pan or kadai.
- Dry roast the oats till you get a good aroma and the color slightly changes.
- Transfer to a bowl and add curd to the roasted oats.
- Mix the curd with oats and set the bowl aside.
- Heat oil in the same pan. Add mustard seeds and once they splutter, add curry leaves and green chillies. Saute for a couple of seconds.
- Then add grated carrots to the seasoning
- Let this cook on a slow flame for a couple of minutes till it becomes slightly soft and remove the pan from heat. Add this cooked carrot mixture to the bowl.
- Mix well with oats and curd. Curd oats is ready to be served.