Sweet potato sandwich – quick and easy bread sandwich recipe with a spiced sweet potato filling. This recipe has sweet potatoes ( shakarkand or sakkaravalli kilangu ) flavored with spices and used as a filling for sandwiches.
While I love potatoes and regularly make use of them in dishes like tawa aloo fry, I occasionally use sweet potatoes. When I first tried this vegetable, I was skeptical about its taste. But I was pleasantly surprised that I actually liked the naturally sweet taste of it.
About This Recipe
This sandwich is very easy to make. The sweet potatoes are first boiled with their skin on, then peeled and mashed. They are then stir fried with some aromatic spices to prepare the filling.
You can have it for breakfast or as a snack. Kids too will love these sandwiches.
Sweet Potatoes: are not only delicious, but are also packed with nutrition.
- They are a great source of vitamin A.
- They are also a good source of dietary fiber.
Ingredients You Need
- Sweet Potatoes: also called as shakarkand in Hindi and sakkaravalli kilangu in Tamil. They are starchy vegetables with an earthy, naturally sweet taste. In this recipe we use boiled and mashed sweet potatoes.
- Onion: as we are browning the onions, it adds a nice taste to the sweet potatoes.
- Ginger: add minced ginger or grated ginger. It adds a nice flavor to the filling.
- Cumin seeds: apart from adding flavor, it is also good for digestion.
- Garam Masala: garam masala powder lends a nice aroma to the filling.
- Amchur powder: it is basically dry mango powder and gives a nice aromatic and sour taste.
- Coriander Leaves: or cilantro lends a freshness to the dish.
- Oil: I used sunflower oil. You can use canola oil, olive oil or any vegetable oil.
More Sandwich Recipes
A few more sandwich recipes that you will love.
How to make Sweet Potato Sandwich step by step
- Rinse the sweet potato. Boil or pressure cook the sweet potato for 3 whistles, with skin on, till it turns soft. Drain the water and set the sweet potato aside to cool down. Then peel the skin of sweet potato. Mash it and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. Once they crackle, add finely chopped onions and minced ginger.
- Fry till the onions turn almost golden brown on the edges.
- Then add the spices – turmeric powder, red chilli powder, amchur powder and garam masala powder along with salt.
- Mix well and saute for a minute.
- Now add the mashed sweet potato.
- Mix well to combine all the spices with the sweet potato. Finally add the finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Stir fry for a couple of minutes and remove from heat. Sweet potato sandwich filling is now ready. Toast the bread slices. Spread this prepared mixture on a bread slice and cover with another bread slice. Cut the sandwich into two halves and serve. Sweet potato sandwich is now ready to be served.
- Substitute Amchur Powder: Substitute amchur powder with a dash of lemon juice at the end.
- Adjust spiciness: Adjust red chilli powder as per taste. You can substitute it with green chillies. Just add the finely chopped green chillies when sauteing the onions.
- Bread: I used whole wheat bread here. You can use white bread, brown bread or multigrain bread. Sometimes I even use this sandwich filling as a stuffing for pav bun.
More Breakfast Recipes
A few healthy breakfast recipes that you can try