Chana dal and snake gourd curry recipe – a delicious curry using snake gourd with bengal gram dal or chana dal. Snake gourd kootu is a South Indian dish that has coconut added along with dal. This recipe is a variation, as it does not use coconut.
It is very simple to make and goes well with rice or rotis.
For other dal recipes do check out
Chana Dal and Snake Gourd Curry | Pudalangai Chana Dal Kootu
Chana Dal and Snake Gourd Curry recipe
- 1/2 cup chana dal
- 1/2 cup chopped snake gourd / pudalangai
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dry red chillies
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Pressure cook the dal and the snake gourd in enough water and keep aside.
- Heat around 1 tbsp oil in a kadai. Add dry red chillies, cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When cumin seeds turn brown, add the chopped onions and fry till they turn soft.
- Now add the chopped tomato along with salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Fry this for a few minutes. Add the cooked dal and snakegourd along with required quantity of water.
- Let this boil and once done, serve chana dal and snake gourd curry with rice or rotis.