Dahi bhindi or dahi wali bhindi recipe – a simple and easy curry of okras in a mildly spiced yogurt based gravy. In this recipe okras are first stir-fried with spices and then cooked with yogurt and besan (chickpea flour).
I like to have rotis with gravy based dishes and this dahi bhindi is one of my favorites. It is a very easy to make curry and is perfect to be served with chapatis or naans.
This is a no-onion no-garlic dish with the lightly spiced yogurt gravy giving a nice flavor to the bhindis.
If you have been making simple bhindi sabzi to go with rotis, then do give this okra yogurt curry a try and you will want to make it regularly.
Okras are a good source of dietary fiber while yogurt is rich in proteins. Lets see how to make dahi bhindi.
How to make Dahi Bhindi step by step
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and when they crackle, add ginger and green chilli. Then add the chopped okra.
- Add spices.
- Fry till okras turn soft.
- Add besan mixture and yogurt.
- Then add salt and amchur powder. Mix well and cook for 6-7 minutes and remove from heat. Dahi wali bhindi is now ready to be served.
Easy Dahi Bhindi | Okra In Yogurt Curry Recipe
Dahi Bhindi – Okra In Yogurt Curry recipe
- 2 cups chopped bhindi ( okra )
- 1 green chilli
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 cup curd / dahi / yogurt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp amchur powder / dry mango powder
- 1 tsp besan ( chickpea flour or gram flour )
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds ( jeera )
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash the okras in water and dry them with a towel. Trim the ends of the okras and cut them into 1 inch pieces.
- Slit the green chilli lengthwise. Finely chop the ginger.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan. Add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds slightly change color, add the chopped ginger and slit green chilli. Saute for a couple of seconds.
- Then add the chopped okra. Fry for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Mix well.
- Let the okras cook on a low flame till they turn soft. Keep stirring regularly.
- In a small bowl, mix besan with 2 tbsp water.
- Once the okras are cooked, add this besan mixture to the okras and mix well.
- Now add the yogurt. Add salt and amchur powder. Mix well.
- Let this gravy cook for 6-7 minutes to allow the okras to get blended with the yogurt and spices and gravy thickens a little. Keep stirring occasionally. Then remove from heat.
- Dahi bhindi is ready to be served.