Jaisalmeri kala chana is a black chickpeas curry in yogurt based gravy. This traditional dish from Jaisalmer, Rajasthan, is simple and delicious and very easy to prepare. It is basically like a kala chana kadhi.
These desi chickpeas need to be soaked and then cooked for a longer time than other legumes. But after this process, the cooking time of this dish is very less. Black chickpeas in a spiced yogurt curry makes for a wonderful dish that can be served with rotis or rice.
Black chickpeas are nutritious being rich in proteins and fiber content. Now on to the easy recipe for Jaisalmeri kala chana.
Jaisalmeri Kala Chana | Jaisalmeri Chane | Black Chickpeas in Yogurt Gravy Recipe
- 1/2 cup kala chana / black chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt / curd / dahi
- 2 green chillies
- 2 tbsp besan / chickpea flour / gram flour
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak black chickpeas in water overnight or for around 8 hrs.
- Drain the water. Pressure cook the soaked chickpeas with 2 cups water and salt for around 7-8 whistles or till it turns soft. Drain and reserve the water for later use.
- Mash the chickpeas lightly and set it aside.
- Take yogurt in a bowl. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, salt and chickpea flour.
- Whisk well till you don’t find any lumps.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Once cumin seeds crackle, add green chillies and cooked chickpeas and saute for a minute.
- Add the yogurt mixture along with the reserved water.
- Keep stirring continuously till the mixture comes to a boil. Check for salt and add some if needed.
- Let this cook on medium heat for 6-7 minutes or till the gravy thickens to desired consistency and then remove from heat.
- Jaisalmeri kala chana is now ready to be served hot with flat breads or rice.