Jaisalmeri kala chana is a black chickpeas curry in yogurt based gravy. This traditional dish from Jaisalmer, Rajasthan, is simple and delicious and very easy to prepare. It is basically like a kala chana kadhi.
Black chickpeas are nutritious being rich in proteins and fiber content. But these desi chickpeas need to be soaked and then cooked for a longer time than other legumes. But after this process, the cooking time of this dish is very less. Black chickpeas in a spiced yogurt curry makes for a wonderful dish that can be served with rotis or rice. Now on to the easy recipe for Jaisalmeri kala chana.
Jaisalmeri Kala Chana | Jaisalmeri Chane | Black Chickpeas in Yogurt Gravy
- 1/2 cup kala chana / black chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt / curd / dahi
- 2 green chillies
- 2 tbsp besan / chickpea flour / gram flour
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak black chickpeas in water overnight or for around 8 hrs.
- Drain the water. Pressure cook the soaked chickpeas with 2 cups water and salt for around 7-8 whistles or till it turns soft. Drain and reserve the water for later use.
- Mash the chickpeas lightly and set it aside.
- Take yogurt in a bowl. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, salt and chickpea flour.
- Whisk well till you don’t find any lumps.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Once cumin seeds crackle, add green chillies and cooked chickpeas and saute for a minute.
- Add the yogurt mixture along with the reserved water.
- Keep stirring continuously till the mixture comes to a boil. Check for salt and add some if needed.
- Let this cook on medium heat for 6-7 minutes or till the gravy thickens to desired consistency and then remove from heat.
- Jaisalmeri kala chana is now ready to be served hot with flat breads or rice.