Mint peas pulao / pudina matar pulao recipe – a quick and easy rice recipe with green peas and fresh mint leaves with spices. This pulao is very easy to make and is a perfect lunch box recipe. Fresh mint or pudina leaves give a nice refreshing taste to the pulao while the whole spices lend a nice aroma. I love simple and quick meals for the week days. This mint peas pulao too falls in that category. It is a one-pot meal and I have used a pressure cooker to make the rice. If you don’t have one, check out the notes in the recipe below.
One of my favorite mint recipes is mint chutney with coconut. I made this a couple of days ago for breakfast to go with idlis. With some mint leaves still left over, this pudina matar pulao was what I came up with. Green peas and mint leaves come together in this quick one-pot meal. I have added cashew nuts which gives a nice crunch and the green peas lend a slight sweetness.
For other rice recipes do check out
This lightly spiced pulao is healthy too. Mint leaves are a great source of vitamin A and dietary fiber. Green peas are a great source of vitamin C and dietary fiber while cashew nuts are good source of minerals like magnesium and iron. Lets move on to the recipe for easy mint peas pulao.
How to make Mint Peas Pulao step by step
- Wash the rice 3-4 times and soak it in enough water for 30 mins. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Fry the chopped cashew nuts to a golden brown. Remove them and set aside in a small bowl.
- In the same oil, add whole spices and fry for a minute. Add cumin seeds and when they crackle, add the sliced onions.
- Fry till onions turn light brown in color. Add slit green chillies and chopped garlic. Fry for a minute.
- Then add the green peas, finely chopped mint and a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Saute for a minute and then finally add the drained, soaked rice and salt.
- Mix well and gently fry for a minute.
- Pressure cook the rice with 2 cups water for two whistles. Remove from heat and once the pressure is released, fluff the rice with a fork. When pulao has cooled down slightly, finally mix in the fried cashew nuts. Matar pudina pulao is now ready to be served.
Mint Peas Pulao | Pudina Matar Pulao Recipe
Mint Peas Pulao – Pudina Matar Pulao recipe
- 1 cup basmati rice ( or long-grained rice )
- 2 tbsp green peas ( fresh / frozen )
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint ( pudina leaves )
- 1 onion small
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 green chilli
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 2 inch piece cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds ( jeera )
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped cashew nuts
- A generous pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- Wash the rice 3-4 times and then soak the rice in enough water for 30 mins.
- Slice the onion. Slit the green chillies lengthwise.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Fry the chopped cashew nuts till they become golden brown. Remove from heat and set the fried cashew nuts aside.
- In the same oil, add bay leaf, cloves and cinnamon. Fry for a minute and then add the cumin seeds.
- Once they crackle, add the sliced onions. Fry till onions turn light brown in color.
- Then add the chopped garlic and slit green chillies.
- Fry for a minute. Now add the green peas, finely chopped mint leaves and a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Fry for another minute. Now add the drained soaked rice along with salt.
- Gently fry for a minute. Add 2 cups water. Mix well.
- Pressure cook the rice for 2 whistles. Remove from heat. Once the pressure has released, open the cooker and fluff the rice with a fork.
- When the pulao has cooled down a little, mix the fried cashew nuts.
- Peas mint pulao is now ready to be served.
- Instead of a pressure cooker, you can prepare the rice in a heavy-bottomed pan. Proceed with all the steps till adding the rice and water. Then just close the pan with a tight-fitting lid and cook on a slow flame for 10 mins or till the rice is cooked.
- Serve the mint peas pulao with a raita or with any spicy curry.