Baby potato fry recipe – a delicious South Indian style baby potato dry curry. This recipe has baby potatoes cooked with fresh aromatic spices. It is a Chettinad style baby potato recipe that is flavorful and easy to make. I usually stock up only normal potatoes. I was tempted to get some small potatoes in the market and decided on making this baby potato fry.
In this recipe aromatic spices are ground along with pearl onions and tomatoes and they lend a nice flavor to the baby potatoes. This goes well as a side dish for rice, chapati or poori. As for nutrition, potatoes are a good source of vitamin C and vitamin B6.
Baby Potato Fry | Small Potato Fry Chettinad style Recipe
- 15 baby potatoes / small potatoes / chinna urulai kizhangu
- A few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds / sombu / saunf
- 2 cloves
- 1 inch piece cinnamon
- 1 marathi moggu / kapok buds (optional)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2-3 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 7-9 pearl onions / shallots / chinna vengayam
- 1 tomato medium-sized
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp oil
- Rinse the baby potatoes and pressure cook them with enough water for 2 whistles. Once the pressure gets released, drain the water. Once the baby potatoes have cooled down slightly, peel the skin of the potatoes. If the potatoes are slightly big, cut the potato into 2 halves.
- Slightly prick the baby potatoes with a fork to allow the spices to seep in. Set the baby potatoes aside.
- Roughly chop the pearl onions and tomatoes. Chop ginger and garlic.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan. Add the dry spices specified in 'to fry and grind' section. Fry till the spices turn golden brown in color.
- Then add the pearl onions, ginger and garlic. Fry till onions turn translucent and soft.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes along with salt and turmeric powder.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes till the tomatoes turn soft and mashed.
- Remove from heat. Let this mixture cool down. Blend the ingredients to a fine paste by adding little water. Set this aside.
- Heat oil in another pan. Add the cooked baby potatoes. Add salt.
- Fry till the potatoes turn slightly golden brown in color.
- Then add the ground onion-tomato-spice paste. Add curry leaves. Mix well.
- Fry the potatoes on a low flame for 8-10 minutes. Keep stirring at regular intervals. The potatoes will be coated with the spice masala and there is no moisture left in the potatoes. The potatoes will change color slightly. Check for salt and add some if needed and fry again. Remove from heat.
- Baby potato fry is now ready to be served.
2. Instead of pressure cooking the baby potatoes, you can boil them with enough water till the potatoes turn slightly soft.
how to make baby potato fry with step by step photos
- Pressure cook the baby potatoes for 2 whistles. Once pressure is released, drain the water and peel the potatoes. Prick the baby potatoes with a fork and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the dry spices and fry till they change color to golden brown. Then add the chopped pearl onions, ginger and garlic. Fry till the onions turn translucent. Then add the chopped tomatoes.
- Add turmeric powder and salt. Fry till the tomatoes turns soft and are mashed. Remove from flame and let this mixture cool down and then grind it to a fine paste. In another pan, heat oil and add the cooked baby potatoes along with salt.
- Fry till the potatoes turn slightly brown in color. Then add the ground paste. Mix well.
- Add curry leaves. Fry the potatoes on a low flame for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat. Baby potato fry is now ready to be served.