Carrot poriyal recipe – a simple and quick South Indian carrot stir fry. This carrot poriyal is flavored with coconut and is mildly spiced. Poriyal forms an integral part of a South Indian meal. Poriyal in Tamil refers to a vegetable stir fry with spices and usually flavored with fresh coconut. It is served as a side dish for a South Indian meal. Most of the times I end up making a simple poriyal for lunch to go with rice and sambar or a spicy kuzhambu. This carrot poriyal is a breeze to make, once you have grated the carrots.
Carrot poriyal is best served as a side dish for rice and any kuzhambu like curry leaves kuzhambu. This is a healthy no onion-no garlic side dish.
Carrots are one of the best sources of vitamin A. In addition, they can boost our immune system and good to be added regularly to our diet. Lets move on to the recipe for easy carrot poriyal.
How to make Carrot Poriyal step by step
- Firstly, peel and grate carrots. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add urad dal. When dal turns brown in color, add broken dry red chillies, curry leaves and grated ginger. Fry for a few seconds and then add the grated carrots along with salt and turmeric powder.
- After that sprinkle little water. Cover and cook till carrots turn soft. Keep stirring regularly at interval till they are cooked. Finally add the grated coconut.
- Mix well and stir fry on high heat for a minute and remove from heat. Carrot poriyal is now ready to be served.
South Indian Carrot Stir Fry | Carrot Poriyal Recipe
Carrot Poriyal – Carrot Stir Fry recipe
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 1/2 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp split urad dal (without skin)
- 1/4 tsp grated ginger
- 1-2 dry red chillies broken
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- A few curry leaves
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Peel and grate the carrots and set aside.
- Peel and grate the ginger.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add in the dal and fry till dal turns brown.
- Then add in the broken red chillies, curry leaves and grated ginger. Fry for a couple of seconds.
- Now add the grated carrots. Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Sprinkle a tbsp of water. Cover and cook on a slow flame till carrots turn soft. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
- Finally add the grated coconut once the carrots are cooked.
- Fry on high heat for a minute. Remove from heat.
- Carrot Poriyal is now ready to be served.