Green brinjal fry is a simple green eggplant stir fry recipe. Brinjals and coconut make for a lovely combination in this dish. I used small round green brinjals here. A very easy dish to prepare, it can be served as a side dish for rice or rotis. Do try this delicious green brinjal fry recipe.
For other dry curry recipes do check out
Green Brinjal Fry Recipe
Green Brinjal Fry
Green brinjal fry – an easy dry curry using green brinjals and flavored with coconut.
- 10-12 green brinjals / kathirikkai / baingan
- 1 onion, small
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds / methi / vendhayam
- 1 tsp broken urad dal
- A pinch of asafoetida
- A few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Remove the stems and chop the brinjals into small pieces.
- Keep immersed in water till use.
- Chop onions finely. Crush garlic cloves.
- Grind grated coconut along with cumin seeds without adding any water. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When they splutter, add broken urad dal, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- When dal turns brown, add fenugreek seeds and sauté for a couple of seconds.
- Now add chopped onions and garlic.
- Saute till onions turn light brown.
- Now add the chopped brinjals along with salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Fry for 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water.
- Cover and let the brinjals cook till they turn soft. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
- Once they turn soft and all the water dries up, add ground coconut mixture.
- Fry for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Green brinjal fry is now ready to be served as a side dish for rice or rotis!