Green brinjal fry is a simple green eggplant stir fry recipe. Brinjals and coconut make for a lovely combination in this dish. I used small round green brinjals here. A very easy dish to prepare, it can be served as a side dish for rice or rotis. Do try this delicious green brinjal fry recipe.
Green Brinjal Fry Recipe
Green Brinjal Fry
- 10-12 green brinjals / kathirikkai / baingan
- 1 onion, small
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds / methi / vendhayam
- 1 tsp broken urad dal
- A pinch of asafoetida
- A few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Remove the stems and chop the brinjals into small pieces.
- Keep immersed in water till use.
- Chop onions finely. Crush garlic cloves.
- Grind grated coconut along with cumin seeds without adding any water. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When they splutter, add broken urad dal, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- When dal turns brown, add fenugreek seeds and sauté for a couple of seconds.
- Now add chopped onions and garlic.
- Saute till onions turn light brown.
- Now add the chopped brinjals along with salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Fry for 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water.
- Cover and let the brinjals cook till they turn soft. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
- Once they turn soft and all the water dries up, add ground coconut mixture.
- Fry for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Green brinjal fry is now ready to be served as a side dish for rice or rotis!