Padavalanga thoran / snake gourd thoran recipe is a dry curry of snake gourd with coconut and spices. This popular Kerala dish is simple and easy to prepare.
I love the simplicity of this dish and the wonderful flavor of coconut to this otherwise bland vegetable.
Snake gourd is a nutritious summer vegetable that has a high water content and can create a cooling effect in the body. It is also rich in dietary fiber.
For other snake gourd recipes do check out
This simple curry goes well as a side dish for steamed rice. It is generally prepared during Onam festival. Lets move on to the easy recipe for padavalanga thoran.
Snake Gourd Thoran | Padavalanga Thoran Recipe
Padavalanga Thoran | Snake Gourd Thoran recipe
- 2 cups chopped snake gourd ( padavalanga or pudalangai )
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp chopped ginger
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds ( jeera )
- A few curry leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Peel and cut the snake gourd, discard the seeds. Finely chop snake gourd.
- Also, finely chop onions and green chillies.
- Grind grated coconut, cumin seeds and ginger in a blender, without adding water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and when they splutter, add chopped onions, green chillies and curry leaves. Saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Now add the chopped snake gourd along with salt and turmeric powder.
- Add 1/4 cup water, cover and cook till the snake gourd is cooked and there is no water left.
- Finally add the ground coconut mixture. Stir and cook on slow flame for a couple of minutes. Then stir fry on high heat for a minute and remove from heat.
- Padavalanga thoran is ready to be served with rice or rotis.