Banana Raita / Kela raita recipe – a quick and refreshing raita using ripe banana fruit. This simple kele ka raita recipe has sliced bananas in a lightly spiced yogurt. Raitas are one of my favorite dishes as they are so easy to make and are cool and refreshing to have as a dip or along with any spicy curry. They go well with chapatis and pulaos or biryanis. While raitas with vegetables are common, there are also fruit raitas like the mango mint raita that I have already posted. With some ripe bananas available, I ended up trying this banana raita.
It turned out delicious with the naturally sweet bananas and the spiced yogurt making for a lovely combination. The roasted cumin powder gives a nice flavor to the raita. This banana raita is best served chilled. You could serve it with any spicy curry. It tastes equally good when you have it on its own too!
Bananas are one of the healthiest fruits and are a good source of vitamin B6 and dietary fiber. Yogurt is a great source of proteins.
Lets move on to the recipe for banana raita.
Banana Raita Recipe
- 1 cup yogurt / curd / dahi
- 1 ripe kela / banana large
- 1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl, beat the curd to a smooth consistency.
- Add cumin powder, red chilli powder and salt to the beaten curd and mix well.
- Thinly slice the banana.
- Add the sliced bananas to the curd and mix gently.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Chill the raita for an hour in the refrigerator.
- Banana raita is ready to be served chilled.