Spinach Raita or Palak Raita recipe is an easy Indian style yogurt based spinach dip. This is an easy raita that is made with fresh spinach, yogurt and a few spices. I love raitas as they make for a quick accompaniment to rice or rotis. When making flavored rice like pulao or biryani, I end up making raita as a side dish just like mango mint raita that is perfect for this hot summer. Raitas are very cooling and a great addition to a spicy meal. When I feel lazy to make an elaborate side dish for rotis or chapatis, I end up making some vegetable based raita.
This spinach raita is healthy too. Leafy greens are generally a great source of minerals like calcium and iron and are a great source of fiber. Spinach is a superfood that is rich in vitamin K and is also a great source of iron, calcium, folate and dietary fiber. Yogurt too is a good source of calcium and is rich in proteins.
For other raita recipes do check out
Lets move on to the recipe for easy spinach raita.
Palak Raita | Spinach Raita Recipe
Spinach Raita – Palak Raita recipe
- 1 cup chopped spinach leaves ( palak )
- 2 cups yogurt ( curd / dahi )
- 1 onion small
- 1/2 tsp crushed ginger
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder ( jeera powder )
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Pick the spinach leaves and wash them thoroughly.
- Finely chop the washed spinach leaves.
- Finely chop the onion. Roughly chop the green chillies.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai.
- Add finely chopped onions, chopped green chillies and crushed ginger.
- Fry till onions turn soft and transparent.
- Now add the chopped spinach leaves along with salt.
- Add little water just to cook the spinach.
- Once the spinach turn soft, remove from heat and let it cool down.
- Meanwhile whisk the yogurt till it is smooth.
- Add cumin powder. Add the cooked onion – spinach mixture and mix well.
- Check for salt and add some if required. Garnish with a sprinkling of red chilli powder.
- Spinach raita is now ready to be served.