Puffed rice salad recipe – simple and delicious Indian style salad using puffed rice. This recipe has puffed rice with loads of vegetables and flavored with few spices. You can have it as a healthy snack or a light meal.
I guess most of us love to snack on puffed rice ( murmura or pori ). I usually make a batch of masala pori (spicy puffed rice ) to snack on.
I wanted to try a simple salad with puffed rice and fresh vegetables to make it a filling snack and prepared this murmura salad. I have made it a few times and love the freshness of it.
This salad is very easy to make. We just need few fresh veggies. Potatoes make the salad filling. Cucumbers give a nice cooling and fresh taste to the salad. Peanuts give a nice crunch as well as added proteins to this dish. Add a few spices along with the muri and finish off with freshly squeezed lemon juice and your salad is ready!
For other salad recipes do check out
Puffed rice is easy to digest as well as low in calories. Cucumbers too are low in calories. Peanuts are rich in proteins and iron. Lets move on to the recipe for easy puffed rice salad.
How to make Puffed Rice Salad step by step
- Dry roast the peanuts in a pan. Once they cool down, remove the skin from the peanuts. Boil peeled and chopped potatoes in enough water along with salt till they turn soft. Drain the water and set it aside.
- Take finely chopped onions in a deep bowl.
- Add de-seeded and finely chopped tomatoes.
- Cut the boiled potaotes into cubes and add them.
- Then add grated carrots.
- Now add chopped cucumbers, de-seeded green chillies and finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Then add the roasted peanuts.
- Sprinkle the spice powders, salt as well as add the lemon juice.
- Mix well. Finally add crispy puffed rice.
- Mix well and serve the puffed rice salad immediately.
Puffed Rice Salad | Murmura Salad | Pori Salad Recipe
( 1 cup = 250 ml )
Puffed Rice Salad recipe
- 3/4 cup puffed rice ( murmura / pori / muri )
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onions
- 1 small tomato
- 1 small potato
- 2 tbsp grated carrot
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cucumber
- 1 tsp finely chopped green chilli
- 2 tsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder ( jeera powder )
- 1 tbsp raw peanuts ( groundnuts )
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp black salt ( kala namak )
- We need crisp puffed rice. If the puffed rice is not crisp, just dry roast it in a kadai or pan till they turn crisp. Transfer to a bowl and set this aside.
- Also dry-roast the peanuts in the same pan. Once they cool down, remove the skin from the peanuts.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into cubes. Boil them in enough water along with salt till they turn soft. Drain the water and set it aside.
- Meanwhile, peel and finely chop the onion. De-seed and chop the tomato.
- Peel and cut the cucumber into small pieces. Also peel and grate the carrot. De-seed and finely chop the green chilli.
- In a deep bowl, take the finely chopped onions, tomatoes, cucumber, green chillies and potatoes. Also add the grated carrots and finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Then add the roasted peanuts and mix well.
- Add the roasted cumin powder, red chilli powder and black salt along with freshly squeezed lemon juice and mix well.
- Finally add the crisp puffed rice and toss the salad.
- Puffed rice salad is now ready to be served.
- If you don’t have black salt available, substitute it with table salt.
- For roasted cumin powder, dry roast the cumin seeds till they change color slightly and you get a nice aroma. Then while still warm, grind it with a mortar and pestle.
- Add the puffed rice only when serving. Once you mix it, serve immediately.
- You can even slightly crush the roasted peanuts in a mortar and pestle.