Cabbage pappu / cabbage dal recipe – a delicious Andhra style cabbage and lentils curry. This South Indian dal curry is easy and quick to make. I have used moong dal or split yellow mung lentils to make this dal and it has no coconut added to it. When looking for a wholesome and quick lunch, I end up making dal with veggies added to it. It is healthier and a great way to finish off those few remaining vegetables after using them in other curries. I like to prepare a simple kootu like carrot kootu to go with rice for lunch.
This cabbage pappu is a simple and quick dal in which split yellow moong dal and chopped cabbage are added to the pressure cooker. Once the dal is cooked, just temper the dal with the seasoning. This will give a nice flavor to the dal.
Also, the amount of oil or ghee required is less and is used only for tempering the pappu. This cabbage dal can be served with rice or chapati.
Cabbage is a great source of vitamin C and a good source of dietary fiber while split yellow moong lentils are a good source of proteins as well as easily digestible.
other healthy dal recipes
Lets move on to the recipe for easy cabbage pappu.
Cabbage Pappu | Cabbage Dal Recipe
- 2 cups chopped cabbage ( muttaikose )
- 1/2 cup yellow moong dal ( pesarapappu or split yellow mung lentils )
- 1 onion small
- 1 tomato small
- 1-2 green chillies
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds ( jeera )
- 2 dry red chillies, broken
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- A few curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Rinse moong dal with water 4-5 times. Drain the water and set the moong dal aside.
- Wash the cabbage and finely chop it.
- Finely chop onion and garlic. Slit the green chilli. Quarter the tomato. Mince the ginger.
- In a pressure cooker, take moong dal, chopped cabbage, slit green chillies, chopped onion, quartered tomato, minced ginger and finely chopped garlic. Add salt and turmeric powder. Add 2 cups water and mix well. Pressure cook for 2 whistles on medium heat or till the dal turns soft.
- Once the pressure has released on its own, open the pressure cooker and lightly mash the dal mixture.
- Heat oil in a small kadai or pan. Add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds change color, add dry red chillies and curry leaves. Fry for a few seconds. Remove from heat.
- Add this tempering to the prepared dal. Mix well. Remove from heat.
- Finally, add freshly squeezed lemon juice and mix well.
- Cabbage pappu is now ready to be served.