Green brinjal curry is a South Indian style dry curry of green eggplants. This recipe has green brinjals cooked with simple spices.
I don’t know why, but I have always cooked only with purple brinjals. When both green and purple brinjals are available in the stores, I generally pick up only the purple ones.
This time I decided to ignore the purple ones and picked up small, round green brinjals and ended up preparing this simple sabzi.
For other dry curry recipes do check out
This curry a simple and tasty dish that can be served as a side dish for rice or rotis. Lets move on to the recipe for easy green brinjal curry.
Green Brinjal Curry Recipe
Green Brinjal Curry recipe
- 250 gms green brinjals ( kathirikkai / hara baingan )
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp broken urad dal
- 1 tsp fennel seeds ( sombu )
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder ( jeera powder )
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- A few curry leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Chop brinjals into big pieces and keep immersed in water till use. Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add urad dal and curry leaves.
- When dal turns brown, add fennel seeds and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Then add chopped onions and saute till they turn light brown.
- Add ginger paste and fry for a minute.
- Now add chopped brinjals along with salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and coriander powder.
- Fry for 2 minutes. Then add half a cup water and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low flame till brinjals turn soft and all the water dries up.
- Remove from heat and serve green brinjal curry with rice or chapathis.