Bengali egg curry / dimer jhol recipe – a simple and comforting potato and egg curry in Bengali style. This egg curry has potatoes and eggs in a lightly spiced onion and tomato based gravy. It is easy to make and delicious. I end up making egg curries most of the times as I find them easy to make and at time they are filling too. This aloo dimer dalna or potato egg curry is more of a lighter consistency and goes well with rice or chapathis.
The recipe is very simple and requires less ingredients. It is especially helpful when the only veggies you have in the pantry are onions, potatoes and tomatoes. Both potatoes and eggs make dimer jhol a hearty curry that is perfect for lunch or dinner.
Bengali Egg Curry | Dimer Jhol Recipe
- 3-4 eggs / anda
- 2 potatoes medium-sized
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tomato large
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 bay leaf / tej patta
- 1 inch piece cinnamon / dalchini
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder / jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Hard boil the eggs and remove the shells from the eggs. Make 2-3 small slits on each boiled egg and set them aside.
- Meanwhile, peel the skin of potatoes and chop them into slightly large cubes. Parboil the potatoes in enough water along with salt.
- Grate the onions and finely chop ginger. Roughly chop the tomato and blend into a paste.
- Coat the eggs with little turmeric powder and salt.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai. Fry the eggs till they turn light brown in color and remove from heat. This step is optional.
- In the same pan, add the potatoes. Add little turmeric powder and fry till the potatoes turn golden brown on the edges. Remove from heat and set them aside in a bowl.
- Again in the same pan, add bay leaf and cinnamon. Fry for a couple of seconds.
- Add grated onions and finely chopped ginger. Saute till onions turn light brown in color.
- Then add the tomato paste and fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add remaining turmeric powder, red chilli powder and cumin powder along with salt and fry for a minute.
- Add the fried potato cubes and mix well. Add 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil on high heat. Then reduce the heat, add the fried eggs and let the gravy simmer for 5 minutes or till it reaches desired consistency.
- Finally add the garam masala powder. Stir well and remove from heat.
- Garnish the bengali egg curry with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
How to make Bengali Egg Curry recipe step by step
- Hard boil the eggs, make few slits on the eggs and coat them with turmeric and salt. Heat oil in a pan or kadai and fry the eggs till they turn light brown in color.
- In same pan, add the parboiled potatoes along with turmeric powder and fry till they turn light brown in color.
- Add whole spices in the pan and fry for 2 minutes. Then add the grated onions and chopped ginger.
- Saute till onions turn brown in color and then add the tomato paste and fry for 2 mins.
- Add the spice masala powders – turmeric powder, red chilli powder and cumin powder along with salt and fry for a minute. Add fried potato cubes and stir.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Then add the eggs and simmer for 5 minutes or till the desired consistency of gravy is reached.
- Finally sprinkle garam masala powder, stir well and remove from heat and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Bengali egg curry is ready to be served.